Sunday, August 31, 2008

"When I was your age . . ."

Well, Chris and I finally did it! We pulled out the old "When I was your age . . ." story with Mira. We have had DVR on our tv for quite some time. (For those of you not in the know, it's a digital video recorder, much like a VCR, except no tapes. And you can pause or rewind live tv . . . awesome!). So Mira is a little pro at using the DVR, pausing the tv whenever she needs to leave the room or eat a meal or go to the bathroom. Chris and I were watching her in action with the remote and had to pipe in: "You know, Mira, when Mommy and Daddy were little kids, we had to get off the couch and actually walk over to the television to turn the channel!" Oh, the horror! It's definitely something Mira can't comprehend. You have to LOVE technology.

And now for the bad news of our weekend, so far. We were at an outdoor wedding reception yesterday. Mira ran over to play at a nearby park, and in the process startled a small dog, who jumped on her and scratched her leg pretty good with his claws. Mira was bleeding pretty good, and for quite a while, we thought the dog had actually bit her. We don't think that's the case now, but it did require a trip to urgent care to determine if she needed stitches. They said it could go either way, so we opted for no stitches. There may be a scar, but I think the trauma of putting her through stitches would have been worse for Mira. So we didn't make it to the fair after the reception, and now Mira can't go in the lake today at her grandpa's. She was really good about everything and is letting us change the bandages when we need to.

On a lighter note, Amelia is officially a walker! She walks about 80 percent of the time now. It's really cute to see. Here is a photo of her in action!


I haven't taken a real recent photo of Mira, so I'll be sure to add one to the next post.
Hope you are all having a great weekend!

5 comments:

The Jahnkes said...

Poor mira- I hope she doesn't develop a fear of dogs now. but she's not one to let things get her down- she will bounce back. That amelia is just soooo cute- could you send her out here for me to keep for a while?

Martha said...

So sorry about Mira and the dog...I'm sure she will be careful with strange dogs from now on!! Amelia looks so cute in that picture..standing by herself makes her look so grown up!! Love you, Grandma

Michelle said...

Kelly,
Amelia is on her way. She wears size 4 diapers, drinks whole milk, and loves fruit. She still sleeps in a crib: bedtime is at 7:00. She likes a pacifier and her singing seahorse, all of which are in her suitcase. Treat her well. We'll see her at Christmas! Thanks so much!
Michelle

Anonymous said...

Michelle, I am so sorry to hear about Mira and the dog. I know how very scary that is. Peyton was bit in the face 2 summers ago in MN. She will see another plastic surgeon as an early teenager, when her face stops growing. I hope that all of you are doing well. I love checking in to see what is going on. Take care, heather

Lindsay said...

Poor Mira, I hope she is doing better. I know Matthew had a dog incident when he was probably about Mira's age. I am an adult and still get a little scared by dogs I don't know or whose owners I don't know.

I love our DVR!! I remember when we were little we had to run to the bathroom and go as quick as possible to get back before the commercials were done! Or eat as fast as possible so we could get back to our shows. Now, I can just rewind, I LOVE IT!! I also love coming home and seeing what good shows recorded!

Lindsay